Alberto G. Romulo
Chairman Romulo’s noteworthy feats in the public sector include serving as Senate Majority Leader, credited for the passing of major banking, business and economic legislations. He also authored/sponsored major laws that include The New Central Bank Act, The Social Security Law, The Philippine Veterans Bank Act, and the Joint Legislative – Executive Development Council (LEDAC) Law. As Secretary of Foreign Affairs, he was instrumental in the passage of the Philippine Archipelagic Baseline Law in 2009, and spearheaded the passage of the Veterans Benefit Enhancement Act.
Highlights of Chairman Romulo’s Public Service Career and Other Achievements:
Secretary of Budget
– Member of President Corazon Aquino’s Economic Team
– When President Aquino assumed office, the national treasury was in the end, CB was bankrupt and government financial institutions gutted and insolvent (PNB, GSIS, etc.)
Secretary of Finance
– Chairman, Land Bank of the Philippines
– Chairman, Philippine Deposit Insurance Corporation
– Governor, Asian Development Bank
– Alternate Governor, International Monetary Fund
Monetary Board Member (Twice)
- During President Corazon Aquino’s incumbency (First Time)
- During President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s incumbency (Second Time)
– Chairman, Senate Committee on Banks. Financial Institutions and Currencies
– Senate Majority Leader
As Senate Majority Leader, major banking, business and economic legislations were passed. In addition, Sen. Romulo authored/sponsored major law firms among them:
– RA 7653 The New Central Bank Act (Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas)
– RA 8282 The Social Security System (Revised)
– RA 7169 Philippine Veterans Act
– RA 7640 Joint Legislative – Executive Development Council (LEDAC) Law
– Chairman, Cabinet Oversight Committee on Internal Security and Disaster Preparedness and Relief (COCIS)
– Chairman, NEDA Board Executive
– Chairman, 14 other offices and agencies
Secretary of Foreign Affairs
– National Security: After 27 years of inaction and paralysis, initiated and coordinated the timely passage of the Philippine Archipelagic Baseline Law in 2009. In the same year, secured our claim in the UN for extended Continental shelf, covering an area as big as Luzon.
– After more than 20 years of neglect, initiated and coordinated the issuance of world class Machine and Readable Passport, then followed in 2009 of state-of-the-art E (electronic) Passport and New Passport Offices (ASEANA).
– After 60 years of waiting, spearheaded the passage of Veterans Benefit Enhancement Act (US Congress) with Senator Inouye and the support of Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
– Multiple Benefits for Career and other DFA Personnel
Director, Administration and Finance (JCI, USA)
Doctor of Laws and CPA